Court Ordered Estate
AUCTION – Saturday, April 30th 10:01 am
Mary Beal Doty Estate – Amis Mill Plat .pdf
575 Burem Road, Rogersville TN
175 acres – Classic Turn of the Century Federal Style House
This home is in a beautiful setting. The house is in need of remodeling. There are several barns and sheds on the property. Behind the main house is a 1 bedroom guest house that could also use some remodeling.
On Ebbing and Flowing Springs Road is a 3 bedroom brick house that is presently rented and is in need of remodeling. It is situated on a really nice 12 acre tract.
Machinery to be sold is as follows: Massey Ferguson 2625 4wd tractor with front end loader-7 ft Massey Ferguson Disk Mower-10 ft. utility trailer-6 ft. Kodiak Bush Hog—Hesston 530 Hay Baler—Pezag Mowing Machine—Cultivator—New Holland Hay Rake—Ford (3600) tractor—Rear hay fork—Front hay fork—Tether machine—Riding mower—Yard Barns.
Open House and property viewing on Sundays, April 17th and 24th from 2-4pm.
For information and surveys call Max Richardson @ 423-357-5193 or visit richardsonandrichardson.com.
This farm goes back to the Revolutionary Land Grants and this area is steeped in history. Terms: 10% deposit of purchase price sale day. Balance within 60 days after court confirmation. No buyers premium.
Sale conducted for the Mary Beal Doty Estate, William Phillips Atty. And Hawkins County Chancery Court, Holly Jaynes, Special Commissioner. Richardson and Richardson Realty and Auction Co.
Directions: In Rogersville, across from Food City, turn off Main St. (old 11-W) onto Burem Road (347E) and go 1.5 miles. Property is near Thomas Amis Historical District.
175 Acres offered in 18 restricted tracts ranging in size from 5 acres to 15 acres. All tracts have cleared pasture land and have some woodland. Most have a spring or clear running stream. All have scenic views.
One tract has the famous Ebbing and Flowing Spring on it. To see more information on the spring, click here.
An 8.74 acre tract borders historical Ebbing and Flowing Springs Methodist Church and School. It also borders Big Creek. This is a beautiful, one of a kind tract.
There is a 13 acre tract with an old house that would make a nice fishing cabin. This tract borders Big Creek and Thomas Amis Historical District and is near Big Creek Dam.
The classic Federal Style house was built in the early 1900’s. It has thick brick walls with the bricks being made on site. It is a two story house. The main level contains a kitchen, dining room, living room with fireplace and one bedroom with fireplace and bathroom. Upstairs are two more bedrooms with fireplaces.
A brief history of the Mary Beal Doty Estate
Newton T. Beal, whose family owned farms on the Holston River at railroad bridge, married Mary Teresa Amis on May 15, 1866. Family history suggests that her father Thomas Amis, deeded them part of the Amis Farm which included the Ebbing and Flowing Spring.
Newton T. Beal and Mary Teresa Amis built the brick house at 475 Burem Road sometime after their marriage, probably around 1870. They had five children and on their death, the land was portioned out to their children. Charles J. Beal was given the land with Ebbing and Flowing Spring. He and his wife, Lucy, built a lovely wooden house on Ebbing and Flowing Spring Road, to the right of the spring. The milking barn was built to the right of the spring and a spring house was built so that water flowed through it to keep the milk cold.
The wooden house burned to the ground around 1959. They rebuilt on the same site, a small brick house. Charlie and Lucy celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary on October 11, 1961. They had three children, a son who died in infancy, and two daughters, Matilda Ann born in 1913 and Mary Teresa, born in 1919.
Matilda Ann earned a college degree in accounting but she took charge of the dairy farm and delivered milk to the homes in Rogersville, TN until the town decided that raw milk should not be sold in the town limits. There are people today who remember her delivering milk to their homes when they were little. She died on Sept. 1, 2005.
Mary Teresa Beal earned a teaching certificate and taught in various schools in Hawkins and Sullivan counties for 50 years.
In 1899, J.H. Amis deeded land for a school and church across from the Ebbing and Flowing Spring. The school was built in the 1820’s and served as a school until 1957. Mary Beal taught school there for many years.
On October 17, 1992 Mary Beal married Wilbur L. Doty at the Ebbing and Flowing Spring Church. They lived for a time in Blountville before returning to Rogersville to live on the property at 475 Burem Road. Wilbur died January 4, 2003 and Mary died January 9, 2015.